IN THIS ARTICLE:
Learn about the Tax Reconciliation Report (FIN-16), its filter options, and how to generate it.
What is the Tax Reconciliation Report?
The Tax Reconciliation Report is used to provide totals for sales tax reporting. It gives a summary by program of financial transactions within a specific period of time that can be used to reconcile charges and payments; in particular by using the Category List Report (FIN-6) and Program Deposit Split Report (FIN-4).
You can basically think of the Tax Reconciliation Report as two separate reports. In the screenshots below, we have highlighted the different sections. What is shown in the red box is what you charged out, and the green box is what your customers paid in.
The Category List Report only reports what was charged between your chosen dates, so you can reconcile the red half of the Tax Reconciliation Report with the Category List Report and they should match. (Be sure to account for any charges deleted after the end date of your Category List Report as that income will be included on the Tax Reconciliation Report).
The Program Deposit Split Report only reports what was applied in payments between your chosen dates, so you can reconcile the green half of the Tax Reconciliation Report. (Adding the “Collected Charges” and “Collected Taxes” on the Tax Reconciliation Report should give you the same total as the "Total Payments Received" on the Program Deposit Split Report with any unapplied amounts subtracted or added back in, as necessary. Be sure to account for "Collected Charges" and "Collected Taxes" in both the "Charge Dates" section as well as the "Adjustments" section.)
- Click here for more information about comparing the Tax Reconciliation Report and the Program Deposit Split Report.
For example, positive Unapplied entries on the Program Deposit Split Report (such as UNAPPLIED PAYMENTS and UNAPPLIED VOIDED REFUNDS) will need to be subtracted from the "Total Payments Received." Negative entries (such as UNAPPLIED VOIDED PAYMENTS, UNAPPLIED DELETED PAYMENTS and UNAPPLIED REFUNDS) will need to be added back to it (since they weren't actually collected, they were either given back to customers or voided so the payment never actually processed). Be sure to account for any negative unapplied payment totals from the "Adjustments" section of the Program Deposit Split Report, as this means they were moved from an "unapplied" state to an "applied" state within the date range of the report.
The final total should match the total of the "Collected Charges" and "Collected Taxed" on the Tax Reconciliation Report.
So this report is telling you 3 different things:
The Tax Reconciliation Report is available in either HTML, PDF, XLS or CSV format.
- START DATE/END DATE: allows you to specify a date range for the report. This system will only report charges created or payments applied within this date range.
- LOCATIONS: the system will only include charges/payments associated with the selected Location(s) in the results. (In order to reconcile the report, these should match the Location(s) chosen for your Category List Report and Program Deposit Split Report.)
- DISPLAY OPTIONS:
- Show Charge and Adjustment Details: the system will include a table showing any changes to the charges within the specified date range of the report (including payments applied/unapplied)
- Show Totals for Each Tax Rate: if multiple tax rates exist within your account, enabling this option will show a separate total for each tax rate. Leaving this option disabled will just show one grand total.
- Landscape: will generate the report in Landscape mode (rather than Portrait).
- CHOOSE PROGRAM: selecting one or more specific programs will limit the results only to charges assigned to the selected program(s) and payments which were applied to them within the specified date range of the report. (Leaving this filter blank will include all programs.)
- CHOOSE CHARGE CATEGORIES: selecting one or more specific charge categories will limit the results only to charges assigned to the selected charge category/categories and payments which were applied to them within the specified date range of the report. (Leaving this filter blank will include all charge categories.)