IN THIS ARTICLE:
Learn about Billing Schedules and how they are used in conjunction with tuitions to determine when students get charged, and how much. Also learn about Billing Cycles and how the system uses them to determine how proration will be handled for enrollments.
You can view more information about Billing Schedules below:
- What is a Billing Schedule?
- What is a Billing Cycle?
- How are Billing Schedules used?
- Creating a new Billing Schedule
- Editing an existing Billing Schedule
What is a Billing Schedule?
Simply put: Billing Schedules are created to define when a student is charged, how much, and how proration is calculated.
Each Billing Schedule is assigned two values:
- A Title - used to label the Billing Schedule in various places in the system.
- A Billing Cycle - determines how the system will handle proration.
What is a Billing Cycle?
The Billing Cycle determines how the system will handle proration for late enrollments/early drops.
There are three possible Billing Cycles available:
- Month/Session - This billing cycle will tell the class to search for a session or rolling session on the class. If one is attached, it will prorate the enrollment based on the percentage of class periods enrolled out of the full dates set for the corresponding session or rolling session. If no session or rolling session is found, it will prorate based on the calendar month (see Force Calendar Month).
- Example 1: a ten-week session is attached to the class, and the student will attend 7 of the classes. The system will charge 7/10 of the tuition price for the enrollment.
- Example 2: no session is attached to the class, and the class will meet 5 times during the month being billed. The student will attend 4 of the classes. The system will charge 4/5 of the tuition price for the enrollment.
- Force Calendar Month - This billing cycle will ignore any sessions or rolling sessions and bill the enrollment for the percentage of class periods enrolled out of the total number in the calendar month.
- Example 1: a session is attached to the class, and the class will meet 5 times during the month being billed. The student will attend 4 of the classes. The system will charge 4/5 of the tuition price for the enrollment because it is only looking at the calendar month.
- Example 2: no session is attached to the class, and the class will meet 4 times during the month being billed. The student will attend 3 of the classes. The system will charge 3/4 of the tuition price for the enrollment because it is only looking at the calendar month.
- Force Month as 4 Weeks - This billing cycle forces proration on 4 weeks, even if there are 5 of some weekdays in the calendar month. If the class meets twice a week, proration is based on 1/8, three times a week is based on 1/12, etc. Proration will only begin when the number of billing days is less than would be expected for 4 weeks worth of dates.
- NOTE: This option only applies to classes that are configured to use flat rate billing. If a class that bills Hourly or by Time Slot is assigned a billing schedule that uses the "Force Month as 4 Weeks" billing cycle, it will default back to prorating by "Month/Session." Therefore, if you wish to force monthly billing for session-based classes that are configured to bill Hourly or by Time Slot, you need to use the "Force Calendar Month" billing cycle instead.
How are Billing Schedules used?
Billing Schedules are paired with tuitions to define the frequency at which tuition is charged for a particular class (Monthly, Session, Weekly, etc.), and how much students are charged. Each class can have multiple Billing Schedule/Tuition pairs attached, one of which is set as the default.
Enrollments can be associated with either the default Billing Schedule assigned to a class, or can be assigned a Billing Schedule override to use one of the secondary Billing Schedule/Tuition pairs attached to the class.
The Billing Schedule is also used to determine which students get charged when you run the Class Tuition Charges task to bill for enrollments. For instance, if you choose the "Session" Billing Schedule when you run the task, only students whose enrollment is connected with the "Session" Billing Schedule will be charged.
We recommend naming these Billing Schedules so that whomever does the billing knows how often charges for each Billing Schedule should be created.
Creating a new Billing Schedule
- Navigate to SETTINGS>SETUP>CLASS SETTINGS>BILLING SCHEDULES.
- Click on Add New Billing Schedule.
- Add a Title for the billing schedule.
- Next, select a Billing Cycle to be used to prorate enrollments within this billing schedule:
- Force Calendar Month
- Force Month as 4 Weeks
- Once you have entered all of the necessary details, click CREATE to save the new Billing Schedule.
Editing an existing Billing Schedule
To edit an existing Billing Schedule, click on the pencil/edit icon next to the Billing Schedule and make any necessary changes. Be sure to click SAVE when you are finished.
If you attempt to delete a Billing Schedule that is applied to an active class, the system will display a warning as follows:
This Billing Schedule cannot be deleted while applied to active classes.