IN THIS ARTICLE:
Learn how to research the status of a refund in iClassPro, the Payment Gateway, and the Merchant Portal.
- Where do I check the status of a refunded payment?
- Searching for refunds in iClassPro
- Searching for refund information in the Merchant Portal
Where do I check the status of a refunded payment?
Depending on when the refund was issued, you will need to check one of three places to see the status of the refunded payment:
- Office Portal – check the Family Ledger to see when a payment was refunded and double-check to be sure the original payment type is one that is designed to trigger an automated refund action.
- Payment Gateway – check to be sure the refund settled in the Gateway and if not, what response was given by the issuer.
- Merchant Portal – check your transactions/transfers to verify that iClassPro has completed reissuing the funds to the customer.
Searching for refunds in iClassPro
When researching payments in iClassPro, it is helpful to know: (1) the date the refund was issued, (2) the card type used for the original payment, (3) the last four digits of the card used for the original payment, and (4) the refund amount.
NOTE: Only payments made via the gateway using a Credit Card will be refunded through the gateway. Refunds for other payment types (cash, check, and payments entered as “External Credit Card” type) will not trigger an automated refund action and should be handled externally by your facility.
Looking for the refunded payment on the customer’s ledger
- From the FAMILIES page, use the filters and/or search box to locate the family in question.
- Click on the ledger/currency symbol icon to expand the ledger area.
- Click on the FULL LEDGER button.
From here, you can use the filter in the upper left-hand corner of the screen to limit the view to show only refunds:
In the REFUNDS view, you can search by Refund ID, Refund Title, or Refund Date to locate the refund in question.
Records may be displayed in two different ways:
- If the Refund Title says “REFUND: [Payment Title]”, then the payment has been refunded.
- If the Refund Title says “REFUND: [Payment Title]”, but the title has been struck through, then the refund was voided (and therefore no refund was actually processed.)
IF A RECORD FOR THE REFUND EXISTS and has not been voided, click on the pencil/edit icon to get additional refund details. You will want to make note of the REFUND DATE, CARD TYPE, CARD NUMBER, and TRANSACTION ID so you can use these to locate the refund in the Payment Gateway.
IF NO ENTRY EXISTS, then there is no record of the refund recorded in iClassPro. (Since iClassPro does not allow refunds to be deleted, there is no need to search the Audit Log or Bank Deposit Reports.)
However, you can still search the Merchant Portal based on the date range, the family name, and/or the last four digits of their payment method (credit or debit card number, or checking account number for eChecks).
Searching for refund information in the Merchant Portal
Accessing and Navigating the Merchant Portal
- Access the Merchant Portal at https://merchantportal.iclasspro.com.
- Log into the Merchant Portal using your login credentials.
- If you have forgotten your password, use the “Forgot Password?” link below the login box to have an email sent to you so you can reset it.
- For assistance with creating users so other staff members can log into the Merchant Portal, see https://support.iclasspro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034221793-How-Do-I-Manage-Users-and-Notification-Preferences-Merchant-Portal-
- If you need additional assistance logging in, call 877-554-6776 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click on “Transactions” from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen to search for the refunded transaction.
Searching for a Transaction
From the “Transactions” page, you can search by the last four digits of the card used for the original transaction and a specific date range.
Under “Display Options”, we recommend enabling the options to show the Payment Type and Last Four, which will make it easier to match up the Merchant Portal transaction entry with the information you noted from the Payment Gateway.
In the results, a POSITIVE amount indicates a payment; a NEGATIVE amount reflects a refund.
After noting the Settlement Date, click on “Transfers” from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen to find out when the refund was processed and the funds returned to the card used to make the original payment.
Locating the fund transfer date
From the “Transfers” page, set a date range that begins on the Settlement Date and extends for at least three or four days. (It may be necessary to extend this range if the Settlement Date fell on a weekend or holiday.)
Under “Display Options”, enable the option to show “Refund Count”, which will make it easier to find only transfer actions that include refunded payments.
Click on the result showing a refund count, then examine the list of transactions to see if the refund you are looking for is included. If so, this means that the refund was processed, and the funds were released on the date of the transfer.
NOTE: if there are a large number of transactions listed, press CTRL+F on your keyboard (or COMMAND+F on a Mac) to launch a “Find” window that will allow you to search the last four digits of the card.
If you do not see the refund listed, check any other entries showing that they contain refunds. If needed, expand your date range.
If you still cannot find the refund listed in the results, you will need to reach out to our Payments team to research the refund further.