IN THIS ARTICLE:
Learn how to add a new student profile using the New Student Wizard or the traditional New Student Form.
- Required information to create a New Student Profile
- Using the New Student Wizard
- Using the traditional New Student Form
- Creating a student from the CALENDAR page
Required information to create a New Student Profile
Student profiles represent a single student who may be enrolled in classes or camps at your facility, or who may be listed as an Honoree/Person of Honor for a booked party.
All student profiles must contain the following data:
- They must be linked to a family profile.
- They must contain the student name.
- If you wish to use the auto-approve registration mode (*) to accept enrollments via the Customer Portal, the student profile must also contain:
- The student's birthdate (so the system can verify that the student meets class age requirements)
- The student's gender (so the system can verify that the student meets class gender requirements)
- Required student policies must be accepted for each student profile to enroll in a class via the Customer Portal. Acceptance of Family policies will extend to all students within the same family.
Creating a student using the New Student Wizard
The New Student Wizard will guide you through the process of creating a new student, prompting you every step of the way to be sure you have all of the information you need.
- From STUDENTS page, click the wizard icon (magic wand). (NOTE: this option is also available from FAMILIES>STUDENT ICON>NEW STUDENT or the Student Summary area of the Family Details).
If launched from the STUDENTS page, this will bring up a screen allowing you to choose an existing family or create a new family. If launched from one of the icons on the FAMILIES page, the new student will automatically be associated with the selected family.
- Choosing “NO, CREATE A NEW FAMILY” will launch the New Family Wizard. After creating a new family, you will be presented with an option to ATTACH STUDENTS TO THIS FAMILY to continue creating the student.
- Choosing “YES, FIND EXISTING FAMILY” and searching for a family will display this screen:
After selecting or creating a family, you will be taken to the first page of the New Student Wizard.
- Enter the first name and last name of the student.
- Enabling “Enroll Guardian () as a Student” automatically fills in the first name/last name fields with the name of the primary guardian by default. If more than one guardian exists, you can use the drop-down arrow to choose a different guardian’s name.
- Enter the student’s birthdate. If selecting from the calendar, be sure to choose the year first, then the month, then click on the day. You can also manually type in the date, matching the date format you selected under SETTINGS>BUSINESS INFORMATION.
- (optional) If you utilize the “Grade” feature, select a GRADE for the student if it does not match the one automatically calculated by the system based on their age. If you do not use grades (or no grade override is needed), then you can leave this setting alone.
- Select a GENDER for the student.
- Click NEXT.
- (optional) Enter any ASSOCIATION ID connected with the student. The Association ID can be used for additional searchable text on the student page, such as a Membership ID.
- (optional) Enter any ROLL SHEET COMMENTS to be displayed when printing roll sheets or when taking attendance.
- (optional) Enter any STUDENT FLAG ALERT that should pop up when viewing student details.
- (optional) Select any KEYWORDS that should be associated with the student.
- Click NEXT.
- (optional) Enable the "Student has allergies or special health concerns" option to enter any HEALTH NOTES that should be associated with the student.
- There will be an option for the instructor to see these on the Staff Portal when taking attendance.
- (optional) Enter any additional MEDICAL INFO (such as hospital, physician and/or insurance information) that should be associated with the student.
- Enabling the option to “Use Same Medical Information as Previous Student” will copy over any information you already entered for another student in the same family. Use the drop-down menu to choose which student’s medical information will be used.
- Click NEXT.
- Fill out any CUSTOM FIELDS created by your business.
- Click NEXT.
- REVIEW the information you entered to be sure it is correct. If you need to make corrections, click the appropriate section on the left-hand menu to return to that page. Be sure to click NEXT after making edits to save the corrections.
- Once the information is correct, click SAVE to add the new student profile to the family.
- Click “Add Another Student” to add another student to the same family.
- Click “Close & View Student” to close the Wizard and launch the Student Details page for the student you just created.
- Click "Close & Enroll Student" to close the Wizard and launch the New Enrollment Wizard to create a new enrollment for the selected student.
- Click “Close” to close the New Student Wizard and return to the page it was launched from.
Other ways to launch the New Student Wizard
- Clicking "Attach Students to this Family" from the final screen of the New Family Wizard.
- Clicking "Create New Student" when launching the New Enrollment Wizard from the CLASSES or CALENDAR page.
Creating a student using the traditional New Student Form
For those who prefer the traditional form to add a new student, you can still click the NEW STUDENT button in the Family Details screen, or click NEW STUDENT under the Student Icon on the FAMILIES page to access that screen.
- Edit the family or click the Students icon.
- Click New Student.
- Enter the Student's Details including name, birth date, and gender.
- The Association ID can be used for additional searchable text on the student page such as a Membership ID.
- Roll Sheet Comments can be used for notes to an instructor.
- Text entered into the Student Flag Alert field will pop up any time that the student is edited or enrolled in a class from the family or student page.
- SAVE the student. This will allow you to edit additional tabs such as enrollments.
- (Optional) Create Enrollments for the student from the enrollments tab.
- (Optional) Manually mark acceptance of any Student Policies (if activated).
- (Optional) Attach any Keywords to the student that may apply.
- (Optional) Enter needed Medical Information for the student.
- (Optional) Enter any necessary student Notes.
- (Optional) Fill out any Custom Fields created by your business.
- Be sure to SAVE any additional changes to the student.
Creating a student from the CALENDAR page
iClassPro will allow you to create a new student during the enrollment process from the CALENDAR page if the student to be enrolled does not exist. To do this:
- From the CALENDAR page, click on the class in which you wish to create an enrollment. This will launch the "What would you like to do?" window.
- Click either "Enroll Student" or the “Launch Enrollment Wizard” icon.
- NOTE: If you click on the "Launch Enrollment Wizard” icon, you will use the "New Student Wizard" to create a student. See the "Using the Wizard from the CLASSES Page or CALENDAR>Class View" section of the "How Do I Use the New Enrollment Wizard?" document for full details.
- Clicking on the "Enroll Student" button will present a prompt to search for a student by "Last Name" and/or "First Name." If no matching student is found, you will be presented with the option to create one by adding the date of birth and student gender (if required in your account settings).
- NOTE: If a close match is found within the same family (for example, if you only search for the last name), you can click "Add Another Student" within the family result to add the student's name, date of birth, and gender (if required in your account settings). Once you click "Add" to create the student, clicking "Continue Enrollment" will automatically proceed to step 6.
- Once these values have been entered, click "Next" to continue.
- On the "Who is the responsible party for [student first name]?" screen, search for an existing family to whom the student should be linked.
- If the correct family is located, click "Use this Family" to continue.
- If the family is not found, follow the prompts to create a new family by entering the Primary guardian's name, email address, and phone number.
- NOTE: If the new family is created in this manner, the family profile will only contain these details. Staff will need to go back and edit the family account later to add information such as mailing address, additional guardians, etc.
- Complete the enrollment process to create the new student and the accompanying enrollment.