Account-wide billing tasks are performed from the Transactions page in iClassPro. For each of your business' billing cycles, we have a list of recommended tasks available in the Billing Operations Checklist to create a smooth billing process for your employees and customers to follow.
What are Class Tuition Charges?
Class Tuition Charges (previously called Global Tuition Charges) will allow you to preview and post (process) outstanding charges for all students with enrollments tied to a specific billing schedule at one time. This task must be run separately for each billing schedule you offer on a regular basis.
How the Filters Work
Billing Schedules and Student Active Dates
The combination of the Billing Schedule and Student Active options chosen in the filters for this task will determine which class enrollments get billed.
The Billing Schedule is selected at the time of enrollment and is determined by either the default settings on the class or a billing schedule override on the enrollment itself.
The Student Active option allows you to choose a single date, date range or a month to locate any enrollments which take place during the billing period that the class tuition charges are being created for. This option should always match the dates you are billing for. This allows the software to prorate the enrollments for the correct timeframe.
For example, if you are billing for a six-week session that starts January 1, 2017 and ends on February 11, 2017, you would select "within the range of" from the Student active drop down and enter those dates as the date range below. This way, if January 1st was a blackout date that needed to be discounted from tuition, iClassPro would see that date is included in this billing and prorate any enrollments which would normally meet on that date accordingly.
Early Bird Discounts
Early bird discounts are a method that can be used to temporarily discount all eligible class tuition charges that are being created to encourage early payment. Customers which pay their class tuition prior to the Early Bird Cutoff Date will retain the dollar or percentage discount that has been designated in the early bird portion of the special discounts area of any discount schedule attached to their enrollment.
Once the Early Bird Cutoff Date arrives, the class tuitions will return to their normal price automatically.
Leaving this option enabled will ignore any tax rate settings per class/program and treat all classes as tax-exempt. If you want to charge sales tax for classes, you need to disable this option.
Disabling the option will give you an option you to override any inherited tax rate with a different rate if you choose to do so. Leaving that option disabled will automatically use the tax rate assigned to each class.
Preventing Duplicate Charges
The Class Tuition Charges task also allows you to prevent duplicate charges from being created if the student has already been billed with the selected charge category for their active enrollments within the selected date range (determined by the Student Active filter). The Prevent Duplicate Charges option is highly recommended and enabled by default.
If a customer has a class tuition charge for a given enrollment on their ledger that uses the charge category selected for the Class Tuition Charges and the charge has a charge date within the length of time selected in the "Within the Past" filter, the charge will be seen as a duplicate and deselected in the Class Tuition Charges preview so that it will not be processed.
The options for the "within the past" filter are as follows:
1 Month - Searches for class tuition charges for this enrollment over the last 30 days with the selected charge category.
1 Year - Searches for class tuition charges for this enrollment over the last 12 months with the selected charge category.
6 Months - Searches for class tuition charges for this enrollment over the last 6 months with the selected charge category. (This is the recommended setting when billing Monthly and re-using charge categories for January-December.)
All Previous by Charge Category Only - Searches the entire family ledger for class tuition charges for any enrollment with this charge category
All Previous by Enrollment and Charge Category - Searches the entire family ledger for charges associated to the active enrollment(s) which were created with the selected charge category.
Running Class Tuition Charges
Follow the instructions below to place charges on customer accounts for the desired billing schedules.
Note: If your business runs multiple locations out of one account, the location selected at the top of the screen will dictate which location is being billed for.
- Navigate to the Transactions page.
- On the left side of the page, select Class Tuition Charges.
- Select a Charge Category to label the charge being created.
- Select the Billing Schedule to create charges for.
- In the Student Active filter, select the type of dates to use and then enter the appropriate date, month or custom date range according to the fields provided.
- Enter a Charge Date to indicate when the fee is being assessed (In financial reports, payments will not show as applied to these charges until the charge date.)
- Enter a Due Date to indicate to the customer when payment is due for the charges.
- (Optional) To reward customers for early payment, you may select to Allow Early Bird Discounts and then enter the Early Bird Cutoff Date.
- (Optional) To add tax on top of class tuition prices, check Charge Tax and select the Tax Rate.
- (Recommended) Leave Prevent Duplicate Charges checked and select an appropriate option for the "Within the Past" drop down.
- Click Preview. The preview will generate in your background tasks for safe keeping but should open automatically if you do not navigate away from the page.
- At the top of the preview, is a Filter Summary. Click Show to review all filters from the previous page.
- Review the charges that have been calculated for errors. The preview will list all enrollments the system found which match your filters. Enrollments with a box highlighted in blue will be billed. If you make corrections to classes or enrollments, you must run a new preview to see the changes.
- When you are ready, click Process to post the charges to customer accounts.
Posting the charges can take some time. You can review the progress of the task in your background task.
Once complete, the task status will read "Done" and a down arrow will appear next to the task. Clicking the down arrow will take you to a summary page of all charges that were processed and the filters used for creating the charges. To save this information, click Save to CSV. This document will also generate in your background tasks. Once complete, click on the document icon or down arrow to save the file for your records.