IN THIS ARTICLE:
Learn about the Late Charges task, and how it can be used to assess late fees related to enrollment charges.
What is the Late Charges task?
the Late Charges task is a tool that allows you to generate late fees for outstanding class and/or camp charges that are past their due date.
How the Filters Work
Late fees can be applied in one of three ways, using the following Fee Types:
- Charge a Single Flat Fee Per Family - issues one late fee per eligible family account in the amount that is entered in the late fee amount field.
- Multiply Fee by Active Students - issues one late fee per eligible family, where the late fee amount is multiplied by the total number of active students in each family.
- Multiply Fee by Overdue Charges - issues one late fee per eligible family, where the late fee amount is multiplied by the total number of eligible overdue charges in each family's ledger.
You can indicate how customers will be considered eligible using the Late Fee Search filter:
- Charges that are Overdue - will determine that a customer is eligible for a late charge if they have any outstanding charge(s) with a due date in the past, which meets the enrollment type filter.
- Charges in a Specific Category - will determine that a customer is only eligible for a late fee if they have any overdue outstanding charge(s) meeting the enrollment type filter with the specific charge category selected. If you wish to do this for multiple charge categories, the task will need to be run once per charge category.
Running Late Charges
Late Charges are performed from the Transactions page. Go to Transactions > Late Charges and follow the instructions below.
- Enter a Late Fee Description that will be recorded as a part of the charge title.
- Select a Charge Category to label the late fee charge when it is recorded in the ledger.
- Select a Charge Program to label the late fee charge when it is recorded in the ledger.
- Enter a Late Fee Amount.
- Choose how the late fee amount is used by selecting a Fee Type.
- Charge a Single Flat Fee Per Family – the fee is assessed once per family
- Multiply Fee By Active Students – the fee is assessed once per active student in the family (Late Fee Amount x # of Active Students)
- Multiply Fee By Overdue Charges – the fee is assessed once per overdue charge on the family ledger (Late Fee Amount x # of Overdue Charges)
- Select the Enrollment Type to determine whether the Late Fee task should consider
- Issue fees for both Classes and Camp enrollment charges
- Only issue fees for Class enrollment charges
- Only issue fees for Camp enrollment charges
- In the Student Active filter, select the date or date range the student must be actively enrolled for:
- In the Month Of – student(s) must have been active at any point within the selected month.
- Within the Range Of – student(s) must have been active at any point within the selected date range. Any enrollments that dropped prior to the start date of the date range or started after the end date of the date range will not be considered.
- As Of Date – student(s) must have been active on the selected date. Any enrollments that dropped prior to this date started after this date will not be considered.
- Enter a Charge Date to indicate when the fee is being assessed (In financial reports, payments will not how as applied to these charges until the charge date.)
- Enter a Due Date to indicate to the customer when payment is due for the charges.
- Choose how to find which families are eligible for this fee using the Late Fee Search
Charges that are Overdue – the family must have past due charges, regardless of the Charge Category assigned to them.
- NOTE: Charges are considered "Overdue" if the "Due Date" has passed, and does not take the Early Bird cutoff date into account.
Charges in Charge Category - the family must have past due charges associated with the selected Charge Category.
- Charge Category Search – defines the Charge Category to be considered in the Late Fee search.
- Charges that are Overdue – the family must have past due charges, regardless of the Charge Category assigned to them.
- Enter a Minimum Overdue Charge Amount. Customers who have overdue outstanding charges that are less than the amount specified will not be eligible for the late charge fee.
- NOTE: The "Minimum Overdue Charge Amount" does not take Early Bird pricing into consideration.
- Click Preview. The preview will generate in your background tasks for safekeeping but should open automatically if you do not navigate away from the page.
- At the top of the preview is a Filter Summary. Click Show to review all filters from the previous page.
- Review the customers that meet the qualifications to be issued a late fee. Customers with a box highlighted in blue will be charged. If you make corrections to accounts, you must run a new preview to see the changes.
- When you are ready, click Process to place the late charges on customer ledgers.
Adding these charges can take some time. You can review the progress of the task in your background task.
Once complete, the task status will read "Done" and a down arrow will appear next to the task. Clicking the down arrow will take you to a summary page of all the customers that were issued charges and the filters used for the preview. To save this information, click Save to CSV. This document will also generate as a background task. Once complete, click on the document icon or down arrow to save the file for your records.
NOTE: The Process Result file will include a column noting any errors that may have been detected when creating late fees. You may need to make manual corrections to these entries.