Account-wide billing tasks are performed from the Transactions page in iClassPro. For each of your business' billing cycles, we have a list of recommended tasks available in the Billing Operations Checklist to create a smooth billing process for your employees and customers to follow.
What is the Late Charges task?
Late Charges is a tool that allows you to issue late charges for outstanding charges that are past their due date.
How the Filters Work
Late fees can be applied in one of three ways, using the following Fee Types:
- Charge a Single Flat Fee Per Family - issues one late fee per eligible family account in the amount that is entered in the late fee amount field.
- Multiply Fee by Active Students - issues one late fee per eligible family, where the late fee amount is multiplied by the total number of active students in each family.
- Multiply Fee by Overdue Charges - issues one late fee per eligible family, where the late fee amount is multiplied by the total number of overdue charges in each family's ledger.
You can indicate how customers will be considered eligible using the Late Fee Search filter:
- Charges that are Overdue - will determine that a customer is eligible for a late charge if they have any outstanding charge(s) with a due date in the past.
- Charges in a Specific Category - will determine that a customer is eligible for a late fee if they have any outstanding charge(s) with the charge category selected. If you wish to do this for multiple charge categories, the task will need to be run once per charge category.
Running Late Charges
Late Charges are performed from the Transactions page. Go to Transactions > Late Charges and follow the instructions below.
- Enter a Late Fee Description that will be recorded as a part of the charge title.
- Select a Charge Category to label the late fee charge with when it is recorded to the ledger.
- Select a Program to label the late fee charge with when it is recorded to the ledger.
- Enter a Late Fee Amount.
- Choose how the late fee amount is used by selecting a Fee Type.
- Enter a Charge Date to indicate when the fee is being assessed (In financial reports, payments will not how as applied to these charges until the charge date.)
- Enter a Due Date to indicate to the customer when payment is due for the charges.
- Choose how to find which families are eligible for this fee using the Late Fee Search options.
- Enter a Minimum Overdue Charge Amount. Customers who have outstanding charges that are less than the amount specified will not be eligible for the late charge fee.
- Click Preview. The preview will generate in your background tasks for safe keeping but should open automatically if you do not navigate away from the page.
- At the top of the preview, is a Filter Summary. Click Show to review all filters from the previous page.
- Review the customers that meet the qualifications to be issued a late fee. Customers with a box highlighted in blue will be charged. If you make corrections to accounts, you must run a new preview to see the changes.
- When you are ready, click Process to place the late charges on customer ledgers.
Adding these charges can take some time. You can review the progress of the task in your background task.
Once complete, the task status will read "Done" and a down arrow will appear next to the task. Clicking the down arrow will take you to a summary page of all the customers that were issued charges and the filters used for the preview. To save this information, click Save to CSV. This document will also generate in your background tasks. Once complete, click on the document icon or down arrow to save the file for your records.