IN THIS ARTICLE:
Learn how to locate specific payment information in iClassPro and cross-reference it with the Payment Gateway to find transaction details, status updates, etc.
- Why would I need to research a payment?
- Searching for payment information in iClassPro
- Searching for payment information in the Payment Gateway
Why would I need to research a payment?
Occasionally, the need may arise to determine if a payment exists in the payment gateway, whether it was approved or rejected, or some other reason. Some possible scenarios may include:
- A customer reports to you that their card was charged, but no payment exists on their ledger.
- A customer reports to you that they have never received a refund you issued.
- A customer reports that they were charged twice but only one payment exists on their ledger.
In any of these cases, the first place you will begin researching the payment is in iClassPro.
Searching for payment information in iClassPro
When researching payments in iClassPro, there are several questions to ask:
- Does the payment exist on the customer’s ledger?
- Is there a record of the payment in the Audit Log?
- Is there a record of the payment on the Bank Deposit Report?
It is also helpful to know: (1) the date the payment was taken, (2) the card type, (3) the last four digits of the card used, and (4) the payment amount.
Looking for the payment on the customer’s ledger
- From the FAMILIES page, use the filters and/or search box to locate the family in question.
- Click on the ledger/currency symbol icon to expand the ledger area.
- Click on the FULL LEDGER button.
From here, you can use the filter in the upper left-hand corner of the screen to limit the view to show only payments:
In the PAYMENTS view, you can search by Payment ID, Payment Title, Payment Date, Method, or Reference Number (Ref #) to locate the payment in question.
- IF THE PAYMENT EXISTS, click on the pencil/edit icon to get additional payment details.
You will want to make note of the PAYMENT DATE, CARD TYPE, CARD NUMBER, and TRANSACTION ID so you can use these to locate the payment in the Payment Gateway.
- IF THE PAYMENT DOES NOT EXIST, we need to see if a record exists for it in the Audit Log.
- IF THE PAYMENT EXISTS, click on the pencil/edit icon to get additional payment details.
Looking for the payment in the Audit Log
- Click on the USER MENU in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- Choose AUDIT LOG from the list of options in the drop-down menu. (If you do not see this option, your staff user has not been given the necessary permissions to access this area. You will need to speak to your system administrator to have these permissions updated.)
- Adjust your date range to the date(s) during which the payment would have been made. Note that due to settlement times, the actual payment date may be a few days before the settlement date (if the payment date fell on a weekend or holiday).
- Since payments are connected with families, search the name of the Primary Guardian along with the word “payment.”
For example, if you were trying to locate a payment for Norman Clegg family between September 3,2020- September 9, 2020, your filters would look like this:
- Look for entries that indicate the payment may have been deleted from the ledger. For example, in the screenshot below, the payment was originally created on 6/1/2020, but was later deleted on 7/14/2020:
- IF NO ENTRY EXISTS, OR IF AN ENTRY EXISTS SHOWING THAT THE PAYMENT WAS DELETED, the next step is to run a Bank Deposit Report.
Looking for the payment using a Bank Deposit Report
- Click on the REPORTS menu in the toolbar at the top of the page.
- Go to the FINANCIAL section and choose “FIN-2 Bank Deposit Report” from the list of available reports. (If you do not see the “Financial” section or the FIN-2 report option, your staff user has not been given the necessary permissions to access this area. You will need to speak to your system administrator to have these permissions updated.)
- Enter the following information into the report filters:
- Start Date/End Date – should encompass the date(s) during which the original payment may have been made.
- Locations – select the Location(s) at which the payment would have been recorded. If you are unsure, you can select all locations if you have the permissions to do so.
- Ledger Filters – select only the payment type(s) that would have been involved. Usually these would be Credit Card and Credit Card Present. (If the payment was made by eCheck or was made via an external terminal and then manually recorded in iClassPro, you may need to check those types as well.)
- Generate the report in whichever format you wish. If you just need to view the results quickly, we generally recommend generating it as HTML.
- The report will launch in your Background Tasks. Once it is complete, download the result and open the file.
- Once the file is open, press CTRL+F on your keyboard (COMMAND+F on a Mac) to launch a search window.
- You can search the report by searching for any of the following criteria:
- The last four digits of the credit card used to make the payment
- The Transaction ID (if known)
- The family name entered in “Last Name, First Name” format.
Depending on your report format the system may automatically locate the entry on the list, or you may have to press ENTER on your keyboard. Be sure to check for all occurrences if multiple payment entries exist for the family.
IF AN ENTRY EXISTS SHOWING THAT THE PAYMENT WAS DELETED, record the following details so you can research the payment in the Payment Gateway:
- From “Type”, record the Last Four digits of the card number and the card type.
- From “Transaction/Check #”, record the transaction ID and order ID.
- If two sets of IDs are shown that are separated by a space, this means the payment was recorded as part of a batch payments task. The first ID is your Transaction ID and the second is the Order ID.
- If only one ID exists, this is the Transaction ID.
- From “Amount”, record the original payment amount.
- From “Guardian”, record the guardian name.
IF NO ENTRY EXISTS, then there is no record of the payment recorded in iClassPro. You can still search the payment gateway based on the date range and the family name.
Searching for payment information in the Payment Gateway
The following instructions are for customers using the iClassPro Payment Services gateway. If you are using a third-party gateway, please refer to their support documentation or contact them directly for details on how to search their gateway for payments.
Accessing and Navigating the Payment Gateway
- Access the Payment Gateway at https://secure.iprogateway.com/merchants/login.php
- Log into the Payment Gateway using your login credentials.
- If you need assistance logging in, call 877-554-6776 or contact email@example.com.
- Access the Transactions Report screen by either:
- Clicking on “Transaction Reports” in the menu on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Clicking “Transactions” under the “Reporting” section of the dashboard.
- The Transaction Reports screen is divided into two searchable forms:
- Transaction Snapshot – lists groups of transactions within a specified date range, based on the selected “Grouped By” option.
- Search Transactions – allows you to search for individual transactions within a specified date range that meet the criteria entered in the search fields.
Searching for a payment
- On the “Search Transactions” form, fill out one or more of the following fields:
- Transaction ID (if known) – enter the Transaction ID, exactly as it appears on the payment details from the family’s ledger or Bank Deposit Report.
- First Name/Last Name – enter the First Name and/or Last name of the primary guardian
- Email address – enter the primary email address associated with the family in iClassPro
- Account – enter the last four digits of the card used to make the payment.
- Start Date/End Date – enter a date range that includes the “Payment Date” reflected in iClassPro.
- Click “Submit.”
- The system will display results matching your criteria:
- Type – the Action Type. May include SALE, SETTLE, REFUND, AUTHORIZE, CAPTURE, VOID, etc. (“Card” indicates that this action was made via Credit Card.)
- Status – the most recent Status of the transaction. Common status indicators include:
- PENDING SETTLEMENT (eCheck only)
- ID – the Transaction ID (hyperlinked) and the first 10 characters of the Order ID. (NOTE: you will actually see the full Transaction ID; certain characters have been masked in the screenshot above for security purposes.)
- Customer – the name of the customer and their email address.
- Details – the first digit and last four digits of the card used to make the payment.
- Time – the timestamp the action was processed by the gateway.
- Amount – the amount of the payment.
At this point, you should be able to identify a few things based on the results list alone:
- Does the payment amount match what was reported?
- Do the last four digits of the card number under “Details” match what was reported?
- Was the payment successful/approved?
- Is there a “Card Settle” entry? If not, the payment has not yet settled.
Viewing payment details
If more details are needed, click the Transaction ID to open the payment details. From here, you can view more in-depth information, especially in relation to Failed payments, which will show additional details as to why the payment failed (such as: Expired Card, Insufficient Funds, Declined, etc.):
IF THERE IS NO RECORD OF THE PAYMENT IN THE GATEWAY, then the payment was not made directly through iClassPro (Office Portal or Customer Portal).
If your customer’s bank/credit card statement reflects the payment was indeed taken by iClassPro, the payment was most likely taken on an external credit card device and a staff member failed to manually enter it on the family ledger in iClassPro.
Since external credit card terminals do not create entries in the Payment Gateway, you will need to reach out to our Payments team to research the payment further.