IN THIS ARTICLE:
Learn about adding and maintaining Products in the Point of Sale module, including product variations.
- Accessing the “Products” screen
- Creating a New Product
- Editing Product information
If you wish to divide products by Category/Subcategory or assign Vendors, these should be created first so they are available to assign when creating Products.
- Click here for information on creating/maintaining Categories and Subcategories.
- Click here for information on creating/maintaining Vendors.
Accessing the “Products” screen
You can access the “Products” screen by navigating to SETTINGS>POINT OF SALE>PRODUCTS.
The Products screen provides a list of available products, amount of inventory on hand (across all locations) and unit price. A "Product Filters" menu is available to limit the list of existing products by Options, Visibility, Location(s) and/or Category.
A "Mass Actions" button allows you to select specific products and "Activate"/"Deactivate" them all at once. ("Select All" by clicking the selection box to the left of "Product".)
Creating a New Product
To add a new item click “Create New Product”
When creating a new item, you will be prompted to enter the following details:
Title & Description
- Product Title
- Active – if disabled, the product is inactive and will not show in the Point of Sale window.
- Inventory Tracking
- Enabled - enabling this option forces an SKU in order to track inventory/stock. Once enabled, items will go out of stock when they sell. If disabled, inventory will not be tracked for that particular item and it will not be shown on the Inventory page.
- SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) – in most inventory systems, this is a unique identifier for products or variations used to track inventory. To help match inventory items to the SKUs used to track them in external systems, you can choose to assign a custom SKU per product or variation by clicking the pencil/edit icon.
- UPC (Universal Product Code) - a UPC barcode that can be used in the POS sale window to scan an item for purchase. In this screen, you can manually enter the UPC or scan it with a USB barcode scanner.
- iClassPro is compatible with UPCs of 8, 12, 13, 14, and 18 characters (including check digits).
- Be sure to scan or enter the actual UPC-A or UPC-E barcode and not any other type of barcode that may be on the packaging.
- If manually entering the UPC be sure to enter the first and last digits that are usually offset from the others.
Select a Category/Subcategory to assign to the item (multiple categories can be chosen)
Ability to upload multiple images per product and set a “Featured” image that will be the default shown on the Point of Sale screen.
- Select the Location(s) where the product will be available.
- Regular Price
- Sale Price (with From/Until Dates)
- Your cost per item (used to figure profit)
- Program (used when a charge is created for the item; can be used to help filter financial reports to reflect Point of Sale purchases)
- Charge Category (used when a charge is created for the item; can be used to help filter financial reports to reflect Point of Sale purchases)
- Tax Rate (used when a charge is created for the item)
- Select a specific Tax Rate (this will override any location-specific tax rate associated with the selected program)
- Use Program Tax Rate (the system will use the location-specific tax rate associated with the selected program -- this is the default setting if nothing else is selected)
- Tax Exempt (if enabled, sales tax will not be figured when a sale is recorded for this product, even if a tax rate is assigned to the selected program)
- Click “Add Variations” to enter varieties available of a specific product (different sizes/colors/etc.).
- Create a Variation (such as “Size”). To edit the name, click the pencil/edit icon next to the variant name, then make your edit. Be sure to click SAVE to commit the changes or click CANCEL to revert them.
- Click “Add Option” to add a specific variant option (such as “Small”, “Large”, etc.).
- Click the currency symbol ($) to set a price modifier; that is, to set a price different than the base amount. The amount entered will either be added to the base price (if left positive), or subtracted from the base price (if prefaced by a negative symbol [-]).
- SAVE the variations.
- Add additional variations as needed (such as “Color”).
Because variations must have their own unique SKU for inventory management purposes, they are automatically assigned one when you save them. However, this SKU is hidden from view. If you wish, you can customize the SKU of a saved variation by clicking in the SKU field beside the variation and clicking SAVE at the bottom of the screen.
If a product was saved with a user-defined SKU and variations were added later, the user-defined SKU will be re-assigned to the first variation. SKUs for any additional variations will be assigned automatically and can be edited if desired as noted above.
To override the default price AND price modifier for a particular variation, you can click in the PRICE field beside the variation. Enter the price you wish to charge for the variation, then click SAVE at the bottom of the screen.
Cost of goods can also be overridden at the variation/location level to help you more accurately track income vs cost :
- If you need to edit a Product after it has been created, the search box at the top of the screen can be used to search for a specific item. Filters are available to select specific locations and/or only active or inactive items.
- Clicking on a variation's show/hide icon will launch a window asking if you want to show/hide the variation in other locations as well.
Editing Product information
To edit Product details:
- Navigate to SETTINGS>POINT OF SALE>PRODUCTS
- Use the pencil/edit icon next to an existing item to open the Product details.
- Make any necessary changes to the Product details or Variation(s).
- Click SAVE at the bottom of the screen to update the Product/Variation(s).
The Point of Sale feature is only available for iClassPro Plus customers. Please visit https://www.iclasspro.com/plus for more information about this service and how to sign up!