IN THIS ARTICLE:
Learn how to configure your Point of Sale system, create products and maintain inventory.
- What is Point of Sale?
- Preliminary Setup
- Updating Inventory using the export/import CSV
What is Point of Sale?
iClassPro's Point of Sale allows you to maintain an inventory of products and sell those products to family within the Office Portal. The Point of Sale interface is also used to control the sale of Student Punch Passes (if this feature is configured).
Before you can begin making sales, you must first configure your Point of Sale settings to establish item categories, enter products and record inventory. Setting up your Point of Sale system is done under the SETTINGS>POINT OF SALE menu.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you wish to divide products by category/subcategory, these should be created first so they are available to assign when creating products.
The Products section provides a list of available products, amount of inventory on hand (across all locations) and unit price. A "Product Filters" menu is available to limit the list of existing products by Options, Visibility, Location(s) and/or Category.
To add a new item click “Create New Product”, or use the pencil/edit icon next to an existing item to edit the item details.
When creating a new item, you will be prompted to enter the following details:
Title & Description
- Product Title
- Active – if disabled, the product is inactive and will not show in the Point of Sale window.
- Inventory Tracking
- Enabled - enabling this option forces an SKU in order to track inventory/stock. Once enabled, items will go out of stock when they sell. If disabled, inventory will not be tracked for that particular item and it will not be shown on the Inventory page.
- SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) – in most inventory systems, this is a unique identifier for products or variations used to track inventory. To help match inventory items to the SKUs used to track them in external systems, you can choose to assign a custom SKU per product or variation by clicking the pencil/edit icon.
- UPC (Universal Product Code) - a UPC barcode that can be used in the POS sale window to scan an item for purchase. In this screen, you can manually enter the UPC or scan it with a USB barcode scanner.
- iClassPro is compatible with UPCs of 8, 12, 13, 14, and 18 characters (including check digits).
- Be sure to scan or enter the actual UPC-A or UPC-E barcode and not any other type of barcode that may be on the packaging.
- If manually entering the UPC be sure to enter the first and last digits that are usually offset from the others.
Select a Category/Subcategory to assign to the item (multiple categories can be chosen)
Ability to upload multiple images per product and set a “Featured” image that will be the default shown on the Point of Sale screen.
- Select the Location(s) where the product will be available.
- Regular Price
- Sale Price (with From/Until Dates)
- Your cost per item (used to figure profit)
- Program (used when a charge is created for the item; can be used to help filter financial reports to reflect Point of Sale purchases)
- Charge Category (used when a charge is created for the item; can be used to help filter financial reports to reflect Point of Sale purchases)
- Tax Rate (used when a charge is created for the item)
- Select a specific Tax Rate (this will override any location-specific tax rate associated with the selected program)
- Use Program Tax Rate (the system will use the location-specific tax rate associated with the selected program -- this is the default setting if nothing else is selected)
- Tax Exempt (if enabled, sales tax will not be figured when a sale is recorded for this product, even if a tax rate is assigned to the selected program)
- Click “Add Variations” to enter varieties available of a specific product (different sizes/colors/etc.).
- Create a Variation (such as “Size”). To edit the name, click the pencil/edit icon next to the variant name, then make your edit. Be sure to click SAVE to commit the changes or click CANCEL to revert them.
- Click “Add Option” to add a specific variant option (such as “Small”, “Large”, etc.).
- Click the currency symbol ($) to set a price modifier; that is, to set a price different than the base amount. The amount entered will either be added to the base price (if left positive), or subtracted from the base price (if prefaced by a negative symbol [-]).
- Save the variations.
- Add additional variations as needed (such as “Color”).
Because variations must have their own unique SKU for inventory management purposes, they are automatically assigned one when you save them. However, this SKU is hidden from view. If you wish, you can customize the SKU of a saved variation by clicking in the SKU field beside the variation and clicking SAVE at the bottom of the screen.
If a product was saved with a user-defined SKU and variations were added later, the user-defined SKU will be re-assigned to the first variation. SKUs for any additional variations will be assigned automatically and can be edited if desired as noted above.
To override the default price AND price modifier for a particular variation, you can click in the PRICE field beside the variation. Enter the price you wish to charge for the variation, then click SAVE at the bottom of the screen.
Cost of goods can also be overridden at the variation/location level to help you more accurately track income vs cost :
- If you need to edit a Product after it has been created, the search box at the top of the screen can be used to search for a specific item. Filters are available to select specific locations and/or only active or inactive items.
- Clicking on a variation's show/hide icon will launch a window asking if you want to show/hide the variation in other locations as well.
The Inventory section provides a list of each item variant in your product database along with its SKU, the location(s) at which the item is available and the quantity on hand. Use the [+] or [-] buttons on the right-hand side to update quantities. (Be sure to click SAVE at the top of the screen to update the totals.)
Clicking on the item name will take you to the product listing to edit specific details.
The search box at the top of the screen can be used to search for a specific item. Filters are available to set minimum/maximum quantities and select specific locations.
When making adjustments from the inventory view, you can select adjustment types via dropdown menu. Adjustment types include:
- Other Adjustment
- New Stock
You can view Adjustment history by clicking the “More” icon (three horizontal lines) to the right of the “Update Quantity By” column in the Inventory view.
The Categories section provides a list of available categories and subcategories that items can be assigned to for filtering purposes within the sales module.
Use the “New Category” or “Add Subcategory” buttons to add a new category/subcategory, or use the pencil/edit icon next to the item to edit the existing details.
Uploaded images will be used on the Point of Sale as a visual link to view items assigned to that category/subcategory.
The search box can be used to search for a specific category. Drag-and-drop is supported to reorder the categories/subcategories if needed.
Updating Inventory using the export/import CSV
Inventory can be updated by exporting an inventory list and adjusting the quantities in a CSV file.
From the Inventory view, you can filter the view as you wish, then click EXPORT
Once exported, the inventory quantities and pricing overrides can be edited and then imported back into the system. Inventory tracking must be enabled on the products and SKUs must be assigned to the desired product variations for this to work.
The import/export file includes both “Internal ID” and “SKU” fields – if there is no Internal ID entered, the system will attempt to match by SKU during the import. (For example, if the product has inventory tracking enabled but has no variants, there may only be an Internal ID assigned. If there are variants, they will each have a unique SKU.)
The Point of Sale feature is only available for iClassPro Plus customers. Please visit https://www.iclasspro.com/plus for more information about this service and how to sign up!