What are Makeup Tokens?
Makeup tokens provide a way for you to approve students for a makeup class by issuing them a token that can be exchanged for a makeup type enrollment.
How are Makeup Tokens Created?
Depending on your settings, tokens can be created automatically when a student is marked “Absent” in a current class, or manually by a staff member (if they have the appropriate permissions).
How are Makeup Tokens Used?
Depending on your settings, the token can be exchanged when a staff member creates a makeup type enrollment, or by the parent through the Parent Portal (where a list of available tokens will be shown in a “Makeups” area).
Configuring How Makeup Tokens Will Work
Because each of our customers has their own system in place for how a student qualifies for a makeup, we have offered several options for configuring how they will work in the system. These can be configured under SETTINGS>MAKEUP TOKENS:
- Enable Makeup Tokens – Enable/Disable the makeup tokens system completely. (NOTE: disabling this option automatically hides all of the options that follow.)
- How Does a Student Earn a Makeup?
- Any absence – a makeup token is generated whenever a student is marked absent when attendance is recorded
- Any excused absence – a makeup token is generated whenever a student has an excused absence marked when attendance is recorded. (Unexcused absences will not generate tokens.)
- Manually created by office staff – Makeup tokens are not automatically generated and must be created manually by office staff (if they have the appropriate permissions).
- Create a new makeup token for missed makeup enrollments – if enabled, a student will be issued a new makeup token if they are absent on the day of the makeup enrollment they previously scheduled. If disabled, the student simply loses the makeup and they will not be issued a token to reschedule (although a staff member with the appropriate permissions can manually create one if needed).
- Auto-expire makeup tokens – enabling this option will set an automatic date on which tokens will expire if not used. (If the option is enabled, a field will show that allows you to set an expiration date “X” many days after the token is created.)
- Limit number of tokens per calendar (Year/Month) – this setting allows you to set the maximum number of tokens that the system is allowed to automatically issue a student within a chosen time frame (Year/Month), provided the student meets the criteria to earn a makeup token. (If the option is enabled, a field will show that allows you to specify a maximum of “X” many tokens to be auto-created during this time frame.)
Parent Portal Settings
- Show Makeup Tokens on Parent Portal – If enabled, there will be an area marked “Makeups” on the Parent Portal where parents will be able to see the number of makeup tokens issued to each child on the account. Clicking the down arrow next to each student will display details about each token (such as availability status and creation/expiration dates). (NOTE: disabling this option automatically hides all of the options that follow.)
- Show Makeup Token Comments on Parent Portal – when makeup tokens are created by a staff member, they have the ability to add a comment (such as why the token was created, etc.). Enabling this option will allow parents to see these comments; disabling the option means the comments will not be shown to parents, although staff members will still be able to see them from the Office Portal.
- Allow visitors to request makeup enrollments - if disabled, visitors will not be able to select "Make Up" as an enrollment type on the Parent Portal and will not have the option to use Makeup Tokens from the "Makeups" area. (NOTE: disabling this option automatically hides all of the options that follow.)
- Auto-approve makeup enrollments – if enabled, a makeup enrollment request generated through the Parent Portal will be automatically approved if the student has a makeup token available and if they meet the age/gender requirements for the chosen class.
- Send email notification upon auto-enrollment to email address of class location - if enabled, will send a notification to the location of the class when a makeup token is applied via Parent Portal with auto-approve enabled. (NOTE: This will use the Email Template under SETTINGS>SETUP>GENERAL SETTINGS>EMAIL TEMPLATES>PARENT PORTAL >GYM NOTIFICATION OF CLASS ENROLLMENT, but will add “(from token)” to the subject to indicate that the enrollment was created via makeup token.)
- Allow Tokens to Be Applied Across Programs on the Parent Portal – if disabled, makeup tokens can only be used to create a makeup enrollment in a class tied to the same Program as the class that generated the token. If enabled, the token can be used to create a makeup enrollment in any class with an opening on the makeup date. (Enrollments will still be submitted as requests for approval unless “Auto-Approve makeup requests” option has been enabled.)
- Allow Tokens to Be Applied Across Locations on the Parent Portal – if there is more than one Location under your account, disabling this option means makeup tokens can only be used to create a makeup enrollment in a class at the same Location as the class that generated the token. If enabled, the token can be used to create a makeup enrollment at any Location with an opening on the makeup date. (Enrollments will still be submitted as requests for approval unless “Auto-Approve makeup requests” option has been enabled.)
- Limit makeup date to at most X days from today – allows you to set the maximum number of days that can occur prior to the date of the makeup enrollment. (For example, setting this to “7” means that the student cannot book a makeup enrollment through the Parent Portal for more than seven days from the booking date. However, Staff members can always create a makeup enrollment from within the Office Portal for any date.)
- Apply Expected Absences to Makeup Class Availability - this setting allows you to specify whether or not the system should take expected makeups into consideration when displaying available classes when a parent is creating a Makeup enrollment through the Parent Portal. (If disabled, only perpetual openings will be considered.)
- Restrict Applying Makeup Tokens to Students With Active Class Enrollments Only - this setting allows you to restrict the use of makeup tokens only to students who currently have an active enrollment, or who will have an active enrollment within the time frame specified under "Limit makeup date to at most X days from today."
Customizing the "New Makeup Token Created" Email
You can edit the email template under SETTINGS>SETUP>GENERAL SETTINGS>EMAIL TEMPLATES>"New Makeup Token Created" to customize the email parents receive when a Makeup Token is created.
There are variables unique to this email:
- [[token_type]] – reflects which method was used to create the token (manually created by a staff member, created due to cancelled class, created due to absence/unexcused absence)
- [[token_expires]] – will show the expiration date of the token that was created
- [[token_description]] – gives details related to the token’s creation (such as the class name/date)
- [[token_comment]] – will show any comments associated with the token. (Note that this variable is not included in the default template, but it can be manually added.)
NOTE: This email is only sent when a makeup token is manually created by a staff member, and only if the option to do so is enabled when saving the token.
Showing Attendance in the Customer Portal
NOTE: Enabling this setting is required if you want Parents to be able to use Makeup Tokens in the iClassPro Customer Portal App.
With the Customer Portal App, you can give permission to allow your parents to view their student's attendance history, notify your facility of a future absence, and use Makeup Tokens to schedule makeup enrollments through the app.
To enable these functions, you need to enable the setting under SETTINGS>PARENT PORTAL>GENERAL SETTINGS>SHOW ATTENDANCE IN CUSTOMER PORTAL: