Note: This feature is available at an additional cost of $0.03 (one credit) per message per recipient in the US and Canada. The service is also available in Australia for SMS only (no voice broadcast), but at a slightly higher cost. Credits must be purchased prior to the use of this feature. Replies are not available.
To set up this service for the first time, go to Settings > Setup > General Settings > SMS & Voice. You must have payment information on file in your iClassPro account to set up a number and purchase credits for messaging.
- Getting Your Phone Number: During the setup process, you will be asked to enter an area code. This will search for an available number in your area (US and Canada only) and dedicate it to you for all outgoing messages from iClassPro. You can give this number to your customers so that they know it is your business calling or messaging when they pick up the phone.
- Purchasing Credits: To utilize your phone number, you will be required to purchase credits. One credit ($0.03 USD each) will deliver a one minute voice broadcast or a single text message (160 characters) to a single phone number. A minimum of 100 credits must be purchased at a time.
- Notify Staff & Customers - When Texting, Have them Opt-In: All customers at all numbers (US and Canada) are eligible to receive a recorded voice broadcast, making this the most sure-fire way to send out your messages. But if a customer misses the call, it can be nice to have a text message they can read later.
Since text messages cost money not only to send, but to receive (carrier costs), customers must voluntarily opt into this service. Normally, we recommend sending out an email or posting a notice in your facility to inform customers that they can opt-in to receiving these messages from inside the parent portal. This can be done by logging into the portal, editing their family information and selecting Yes for text messages next to their text compatible phone numbers (Seen below).
With consent, a staff member can also make these changes inside of the staff side of iClassPro from within a family or another staff member's record. (Depending on laws in your area, you may want to get expressed written consent.)
For additional phone number fields, all customers must be updated using the Family Template under Settings > Setup > Family Settings > Family Template.
After enabling text messages on the family's page and purchasing SMS credits, the process is relatively simple.
From the family, students or staff page, use filters to narrow your search results to the intended recipients of the message.Select recipients by checking the box next to their names or by using the Select all box at the top of the page next to the column titles.
Once the customers are selected, click either the SMS/Text icon (left) or the Voice Broadcast icon (right) at the bottom of the screen.
SMS/Text Messaging Instructions:
A new window will now appear titled Send SMS Message. From here, you can enter the message you would like to send to the selected customers. This window will detail:
- # of SMS messages being sent - which represents the number of customer phone numbers out of those selected that have enabled this feature.
- # of SMS Credits - the number of credits available from prior purchases to send this message (if there are not enough credits to send the message to the selected group, you will also see a red notification).
- __ of 160 characters left - one standard text message is limited to 160 characters.
A standard text message is limited to 160 characters. One message to one recipient at or under this limit will cost one credit ($0.03 USD).
After composing your message, click Send.
Our automated system will begin sending out the messages. Each success full message sent will create an entry in your audit log, similar to the one below:
Voice Broadcast Instructions:
Another window will appear asking for your phone number. Enter a phone number where you can be reached directly and you will receive a phone call from the Voice Broadcast System. Say "hello" when you answer the call to initiate the instructions which will walk you through completing the call.
To minimize costs, we recommend scripting the message you are sending before hand, keeping it short and minimizing the amount of time it takes to answer and complete the call for the recording.
With Voice Broadcasting, there are two credit fees involved in completing the process:
- One credit is spent for each minute spent on the automated phone call in which you record the outgoing message.
- Voice broadcasts cost one credit per minute per recipient, so if you record a two minute long message, you will pay 2 credits per phone number that is dialed.
Once you hang up from your recorded call, your messages will be sent through the automated system.